Monday, March 24, 2008

Our first daughter ...

The best present my husband ever gave me was my step-daughter, Stacie. It wasn't always easy being a "blended" family, in fact, at times it was incredibly hard. (Just ask her Dad about the call we received from the Maury Povich show when she was a teenager - "Punkin, do we have a problem we need to talk about?" "No Dad, I just thought we could get a free trip to New York City.") But then there would be defining moments - the cross-country motorcycle trip, being there for the birth of her children and cutting an umbilical cord, watching her step forward to help someone in need - the moments when love, courage and honor shine so brightly that you can't help but see what an amazing person she truly is. I used to wish that she were mine, that I was more than just her step-monster, but then I realized that this little girl had more than enough love to go around. She taught me that I could love a child that's not biologically mine and opened my heart to the prospect of adoption. I love you, Baby Girl, and owe you more than I can ever say.

Not flesh of my flesh,
Nor bone of my bone,
But nevertheless still my own.
Never forget for a single minute
You weren't born under my heart
But in it.

© Fleur Conkling Heyliger

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can not say how much your words has tuched me. I cried and feel very honored to have you as a mother. If it were not for you and Dad there are many things that I could not have gotten through. I am honestly one of the lucky ones and can not tell you how much you both mean to me.
Love Always & Forever,
Stacie
P.S. (We finally got through thoses odd teenage years, they were not too bad. lol)