Monday, April 7, 2008

Identity crisis?

I'm pretty much committed to being a beta-mom (aka slacker mom), but I did begin to wonder about my style of parenting as I listened to my 4-year-old daughter speak to her imaginary friend earlier today. Oh, I don't mind the imaginary friend (I used to have one myself), but it was the fact that she was speaking with a British accent and a really bad one at that. Born in China, living in NY, speaking like she lives in a London flat. Too funny. Actually, too much Charlie and Lola (http://www.charlieandlola.com/).

Charlie and Lola are very charming characters by Lauren Child, who are now a very entertaining show from BBC that let's you see the world through the eyes of a 4-year-old girl and her very patient 7-year-old brother. Elizabeth is crazy about the show and has been sharing Lola-isms with us all week:
- I will never NOT ever eat a tomato
- I am ever SO not well
- It is absolutely completely NOT messy
- Never EVER never step on the cracks
- I am TOO absolutely small for school
- I can do anything that's everything ALL on my own
- I'm just NOT keen on spiders
- I do not ever, NEVER want my wobbly tooth to fall out

There are worse shows that she could want to watch ... Caillou makes me crazy with all his whining and Barney, well, need I say more? So, I pour a couple of glasses of pink milk and curl up on the couch with my girl for some serious snuggle time. After all, as Charlie says, "I have this little sister, Lola. She is small and VERY funny." Call me barmy, but this is a great way to spend half an hour.

No comments: